DATA MANAGEMENT ALERT
Ancillary Needs Reporting
Effective fiscal year 2024, Ancillary Needs can be reported to Arizona Education Data Standards (AzEDS). Students who require ancillary services but do not require special education (SPED) instruction as outlined in A.R.S. § 15-769 (D) and students on an Individualized Education Program (IEP) with ancillary needs can be reported.
Ancillary needs reporting guidance is available on the Data Management website: Ancillary Needs Reporting in AzEDS.
Integrity rules have been introduced to ensure that Ancillary Needs are correctly reported. Integrity One Sheet Tools have been created to assist Public Education Agencies (PEAs) with troubleshooting if needed. New integrity rules related to Ancillary Needs are as follows:
- NEW -40090 – Any SPED needs marked as Ancillary must be a Group B need (A, HI, MOID, SID, MD, MDSSI, OI, PSD, EDP, or VI)
- NEW -40091 – Any SPED need marked as Ancillary can only be reported with an LRE of L, C, D, PD, or PE
- NEW -40092 – Any SPED need within a Least Restrictive Environment L (Ancillary services provided for Students not on an IEP) must be marked as Ancillary
- NEW -40093 – Ancillary SPED Needs reported within a Least Restriction Environment L are not to be included by an IEP that indicates that a Federal Primary Need Indicator (FPNI). All needs within LRE L code must not be primary.
Updated integrity rules related to Ancillary Needs are as follows:
- -40004 - Concurrent Need and Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) Code Eligibility matrix updated to disallow LRE L reporting for Preschool or Ungraded Elementary grades.
- -40020 - Concurrent PEA and Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) Code Eligibility matrix updating to allow LRE L reported by Public Districts or Public Charters only.
- -40029 - Concurrent Need and Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) Code Eligibility matrix updated to allow only Group B Needs to be reported within LRE L.
- -40050 - Student participating in special education must have one Federal Primary Need Indicator (FPNI) – Update rule to allow an exception for LRE L. No needs within LRE L can be Primary.
- -40051 - If a student is reported with more than one Federal Primary Need Indicator (FPNI), then report the discrepancy as an error. (Rule does not apply for Ancillary Needs)
Please email ESS Data Management with any questions regarding Ancillary Services.