Comprehensive Literacy State Development Grant
The focus will be children birth to grade 12 in high-needs schools and qualified opportunity zones serving Arizona's most disadvantaged students. CLSD is a substantial investment that will award up to 25 qualified schools and/or early childhood programs who have demonstrated readiness and the ability to implement.
*For screen reader compatible version of the timeline below please see pages 16-24 in the CLSD AZ Project Narrative Document.
CLSD AZ Project Narrative Document | CLSD Timeline | Guidance Document
The CLSD grant funding application opened in Grants Management
2/22/2021 and closesd on 4/16/2021
How to Apply to the CLSD Flow Chart | Accessible version (updated 2/8/21)
CLSD Funding by Age Bands | CLSD Grant Awards Accessible Version
Grants Management Resource Library
User Roles and User Access Administration
CLSD AZ Project Narrative Document*For screen reader compatible version of the above information please see page 9 in the CLSD AZ Project Narrative Document.
Not less than 15% of grant funds must be used for state and local programs and activities pertaining to children from birth through kindergarten entry.
Not less than 40% of grant funds must be used for state and local programs and activities, allocated equitably among the grades of kindergarten through grade five.
Not less than 40% of grant funds must be used for state and local programs and activities, allocated equitably among grades six through twelve.
For this competition, State Education Agencies are required to prioritize subgrant applications that meet the higher evidence levels of strong or moderate evidence included in the definition of “evidence-based”.
- Understanding the ESSA Tiers of Evidence Video and handout
- Reading a study
- Using the WWC to Identify ESSA Evidence Ratings
- Examining Language and LIteracy: Evidence-Based Practices
- Got Evidence - Some Questions and Answers about Evidence-Based Practices in Early Childhood
- Assessing the body of evidence for a particular intervention
- Evaluating evidence to align with current needs/wants/context
- COX Campus Coaching Courses
- Move On When Reading: Professional Development
- CLSD Literacy State Development information
- Using the WWC to Find ESSA Tiers of Evidence
- Evidence-Based Resource Websites (ESSA)
- Selecting Evidence-Based Practices for Low-Performing Schools
- Aligning Evidence-based Clearinghouses with the ESSA Tiers of Evidence
- Evidence for ESSA
- IRIS Center Peabody College Vanderbilt
- CLSD Program Resources: Evidence-Based Practices
- Ohio's Evidence-Based Clearinghouse
- Connecticut State DOE Evidence-Based Practice Guide
- What Works Clearinghouse
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
- Pre-K Practice Guide: Preparing Young Children for School
- Frye Elementary School
- Ganado High School
- Garfield School
- High Desert Middle School
- Holdeman Elementary
- Imagine Camelback Middle, Inc.
- Imagine Coolidge Elementary, Inc.
- Littleton Elementary School
- Make Way For Books
- Mesquite Elementary School
- Mohawk Valley School
- Navajo County School Superintendent
- Page Unified Preschool School/Desert View
- Roberts-Naylor K-8 School
- San Luis Middle School
- San Marcos Elementary School
- Secrist Middle School
- Southwest Leadership Academy
- Valley of the Sun United Way
- Western Arizona Council of Governments
- Wilson Elementary School
- Yavapai County Education Service Agency
- Yuma Elementary District
Comprehensive Literacy State Development Awardees Onboarding
Start HereAccessibility Version
Welcome Presentation and Webinar
CLSD Welcome Onboarding PowerPoint Presentation | CLSD Welcome Webinar Session
Required Asynchronous Learning
|CLSD Awardees are required to complete each webinar listed below.||National Implementation Network (NIRN) AI online self-paced modules must be completed by September 2022.|
*Please note this webinar provides an overview of the CNA in full. Not all six principles of the CNA are required for CLSD. Awardees are required to upload their applicable CNA principles for CLSD into the Educational Monitoring Assistance and Compliance (EMAC) system only.
EMAC Administrator Guide | EMAC Portal User Guide
- EMAC: Getting Started & Starting a Data Collection Task
- EMAC: Submitting a Data Collection Task
- EMAC: Tabs in a Data Collection Task
- EMAC Task(s): In Progress Status
- EMAC Task(s): Action Required Status
CNA Rubric for Application to Literacy Grant
Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling (LETRS) Training
In 2020, ADE awarded twenty-three CLSD subgrantees representing 12 counties who are leveraging CLSD grant resources to improve child literacy skills and instructional capacity on the science of reading.
In 2021, ADE extended four professional development cohorts in the science of reading focused on LETRS ® (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling) to the field and to all CLSD applicants who were not awarded the CLSD grant. Over one hundred practitioners across four counties are participating in LETRS ® Early Childhood or LETRS ® K-12 3rd Edition professional development cohorts. Click on this link to learn more about the CLSD AZ Project!
CLSD Grant Annual Report FFY2021
CLSD Grant Annual Report FFY2022
Virtual Office Hours: Wednesday & Fridays 2:00 pm-4:00 pm
Contact Information: Laura Lee, Early Childhood | CLSDG inbox